Today is a slow day, so I decided to compile a list of fun facts about the Netherlands.
You probably already have heard some of these facts and I may have missed out some, that should be on this list.
Feel free to add these in the comments!
Did you know …?
- When you arrive at Schipol airport you are 4 meters below sea level!
- The Netherlands has more than 4,000 miles of rivers, lakes and waterways. And there are more than 1200 Bridges in Amsterdam
- The name Amsterdam is a combination of the words Amstel (the name of the river) and dam (named after a dam that was built on the River Amstel in early times)
- Amsterdam has over a million bikes, but has a population of only 700,000.
- Amsterdam has more museums per mÂ² than any other city in the world. Out of the 70 Museums found in the Netherlands, there are 40 in Amsterdam alone! These museums cover all kinds of topics, from the classic art museums to the sex and Marijuana museums.
- The Netherlands is all about the thousands of windmills that are still in operation!
- The Dutch are the tallest people in Europe and the second tallest in the world. According to them, they are also the most handsome looking people.
- The Dutch are experts in preventing water from flooding the cities. There is a famous story of a boy who stuck his finger in a hole in the dam so as not to flood the city!
- If global warming does end up raising the sea level, Amsterdam may be one of the first cities to be flooded. This is because Amsterdam is completely flat and at its lowest point is 6.7 meters below sea level. In fact, more than one quarter of the country is below sea level.
- The Van Gogh collection in the Van Gogh Museum and the KrÃ¶ller-MÃ¼ller are the largest in the world.
- If you want to visit the Parliament building in Amsterdam … good luck with that! Although Amsterdam is the capital and the largest city in Holland, all political decisions are made in The Hague.
- There is a house boat called Poezenboot that acts as a home for abandoned cats. A lady who usedÂ to pick them up from the street decided to buy a boat. Since the death of the “cat lady” this idea is still alive thanks to the work of dedicated volunteers caring for the ship and the hundreds of cats that live in it.
- 75% of the production of flower bulbs in the world, comes from the Netherlands.And 70% of the bacon production! They are also the worlds largest consumer of licorice – 32million kilos a year.
- Each Dutch has at least one bicycle. And there are twice as many bikes as cars.
- The hightest point in The Netherlands is at 323 meters above sea level.
- Holland has more than 15,000 kilometers of bike lanes!
- Most Dutch people speak at least one other language, usually Dutch and English. Let’s see if we can copy that here in the UK!
- Holland and the Netherlands are the same country. Shocking, right?
- Holland was one of the first 6 members of the European Union. And you know why this country is so tolerant andÂ committed? Because it has always had a coalition government!
Have you got any more interesting and fun facts about Holland? Share it with us in the comments!